So it Begins
We flew in last night from Detroit, arriving in Kyoto around 8:30 pm. Marcia and I met the only other American on this trip, Stephen, at the airport. Of our group, we were the last to arrive. There are twelve of us, taking this pilgrimage together. Most of the group are Europeans from France, Holland, Germany and Switzerland. After settling in we went out for dinner. It was quite disorienting to sit in the noisy restaurant, with those around me speaking French, while in the background I was listening to raucous Japanese businessmen. It certainly shifts the brainwaves to be translating so many languages at once. All of the Europeans speak tolerable English and many can converse in German and French. All of the group are Buddhist sangha members, so at heart we speak the same language of religious practice, though most of the Europeans don't indulge in renunciation ( they all drink, smoke and eat meat.)
Today we are meeting at 1pm to go together to have koicha with a Tea Master who is also a Shambhala Buddhist sangha member settled in Kyoto. I am not sure if we will experience a full formal tea ceremony, but will report back later about the details.
The weather is hot and humid with showers likely this afternoon. Our hostel is packed, modern and quite amenable, located on a narrow street near the train station. This morning I went out for a morning walk along the river. There was bamboo growing inthe shallows and cranes and ducks paddling in the water. The residential streets are very narrow with the houses tight against the curb. All the aesthetic gardens and personal touchs are hidden from view in courtyards, much like in Paris. Because of the close quarters, the Japanese cherish their private spaces. Everything is precise, compact and tidy here.
By contrast there are major boulevards and the freeways are wide and busy. The boulevards were created in this city for the grand promenades of the Imperial Court, much like Paris once again. Dotted throughout the city are sanctuaries of green, the hundreds of temple grounds.
Now I am off to change money, 1000 yen is $100 approximately. To visit the tourist information center and buy a flower for our presentation at the opening ceremony this afternoon. I'll take my camera to share pictures of it all later.
Today we are meeting at 1pm to go together to have koicha with a Tea Master who is also a Shambhala Buddhist sangha member settled in Kyoto. I am not sure if we will experience a full formal tea ceremony, but will report back later about the details.
The weather is hot and humid with showers likely this afternoon. Our hostel is packed, modern and quite amenable, located on a narrow street near the train station. This morning I went out for a morning walk along the river. There was bamboo growing inthe shallows and cranes and ducks paddling in the water. The residential streets are very narrow with the houses tight against the curb. All the aesthetic gardens and personal touchs are hidden from view in courtyards, much like in Paris. Because of the close quarters, the Japanese cherish their private spaces. Everything is precise, compact and tidy here.
By contrast there are major boulevards and the freeways are wide and busy. The boulevards were created in this city for the grand promenades of the Imperial Court, much like Paris once again. Dotted throughout the city are sanctuaries of green, the hundreds of temple grounds.
Now I am off to change money, 1000 yen is $100 approximately. To visit the tourist information center and buy a flower for our presentation at the opening ceremony this afternoon. I'll take my camera to share pictures of it all later.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home