Friday, September 16, 2005

A Walk Through the Neighborhood to Sanjusangendo

Friday morning, my teacher, Marcia and I went off to visit the temple commonly known as Sanjusangendo. This temple is reknowned for having 1001 4 ft.tall statues of the bodhisattva, Kannon, also known in Sanskrit at Avalokiteshvara. This bodhisattva has special meaning to me, so I appreciate seeing the many forms created of him/her in all the Buddhist cultures. Some of you may know that the standing figure in my hallway at home is my own interpretation of this enlightened being. He/she represents the energy of compassion and the Dalai Lama is said to be a reincarnation of this bodhisattva.
Along the way we took detours down the narrow winding alleys along the river to see the houses in our neighborhood. This mural was one treasure found along the way.


You can see how narrow the streets can be. Amazingly they do drive cars down these streets!

This is a shrine at the river. These small places of worship are everywhere and always hold offerings. The swastika marking is a reminder that this symbol was hijacked from the Buddhist faith by Hitler and has long been a religious symbol before it's more ugly reincarnation as a sign for the Nazi Party. In the background please note the speck of a crane standing on a rock in the river. There are egrets and cranes of great size all along the river.

Here is a better shot of the bird I called the River Guardian as I swear it has been in the same spot each time I have passed this way. The walkway on the far side of the river goes all the way along and many elders walk it in the morning. The river is quite shallow and in places there are placed stepping stones for crossing it.

When Marcia and I finally arrived at Sanjusangendo the place was full of schoolchildren and many Japanese adults too. It is a popular sightseeing spot as it is also the longest wooden structure in Japan. It was fascinating to hear how it was built on alternating layers of sand and clay and with certain combinations of clay and wood walls to withstand earthquakes. It has stood for 700 years, which is a real testament to it's construction. Because of it's age there are no pictures allowed in the temple so I have included these links to give you an idea of the beauty and power of the place. Marcia and I were able to sit in meditation for a few minutes in front of the Largest Kannon and I lit a candle for all those I know who are suffering. In some ways the Buddhist faith and the Catholic faith are similar in that they have many sacred personages ( though the Buddhists do not deify them) and similar rituals, also Buddhism has taken on the cultural flavor of wherever it has been transmitted, incorporating local religious beliefs with the Buddhist teachings.

On the way back to K's House, I saw this sweets shop and had to stop and get a closer look. These sweets are part of the tea ceremony and are used as gifts. Gift giving is BIG in Japan. It is customary to give at nearly any and all occasions and it is best to give something that will be used up ( hence the sweets) so the receiver does not feel obligated to you in the future.

The beauty of every aspect of these sweets is what attracted me; from the actual treat which can be in the shape of a flower or other delicate things, to the packaging and display. Every detail is precise and full of artistry which is to be appreciated as part of the gift. I purchased some of the green powdered balls which I shared with everyone the next night. The outside is dusted in green tea and then there is a layer of rice dough with a sweet bean paste inside. Quite scrumptious! I will have to buy more before I return home. They must be kept fresh so I will do it the day before we leave.


2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sitting in my apartment feeling a bit dreary and unmotivated, I sat down to view Becky's photos of Japan. As I went through this photographic journey, my mood transformed, uplifted. An "AH" experience. Thank you Becky.


Julie Swan

7:39 AM  
Blogger becky said...

You are most welcome, Julie. It is fun for me to revisit these spaces once again too.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home